You don`t need to join a gym to lose weight!
Did you know that you can create a caloric deficit by not only eating small portions of the right types of foods, but also by being more active throughout the day?
Of course you knew that… right?
- How about if I said just 10 minutes of exercise every morning would go a long way to kick starting your metabolism for the day? ( I have posted a 10 minute daily jump start aerobic workout to your right that would make a big difference).
- Or that you don`t have to join a gym to improve your fitness and lose a few of those Christmas pounds?
It’s true. Take every opportunity to be as active as possible throughout the day. The more active you are, the more calories you’ll burn, and the easier it’ll be to create a caloric deficit for maximum fat loss.
Exercise doesn’t have to be limited to the track or the gym. You can greatly increase the amount of physical activity your body gets (and the total calories you burn) by making small lifestyle changes to be as active as possible throughout the day.
Here are a few simple examples:
– Get in the habit of taking the stairs instead of the lift.
– Keep your trainers in the car so you’re always prepared to get out and be active when you have some extra time. You could take a brisk walk or shoot some baskets after lunch, before returning to work.
– Choose a hike or a bike ride instead of a movie.
– Play with your kids in the garden or park rather than dropping them off in the town centre.
– Always take a 15-30 minute walk after your dinner, it will help you digest and more importantly help you establish a more active daily routine.
Any extra bit of activity adds up and over the long-run, makes a big difference in how much fat you lose. By simply meeting friends for a walk or bike ride, or a game of tennis or badminton, instead of “happy hour”, for example will save you 700 or more calories (i.e. burn 350+ calories and save 350+ calories on drinks you would have consumed).
By doing this just once a week, you can lose an extra pound of fat a month!
That’s 12 pounds of fat a year simply by having fun playing instead of drinking once a week. Of course, if you made this simple change 2 or 3 times a week you could enjoy double or triple the fat loss.
Key points to remember:
1. Take advantage of every opportunity to be more active throughout the day to help create a caloric deficit.
Although today’s blog might seem obvious, it’s often overlooked. Most people only consider calories with the foods they eat and their exercise routine. But your body is burning calories throughout the day and the more active you are, the more fat you’ll lose.
Don`t sit on it, try it!
Rachel Benton & Associates
Personal Training, Bedfordshire